“I’m a Man. So, I’m an elegant man” – Jobriath begins this mix singing fairy-like, then upsurging in glam queerness.
This issue’s Venus / Mars mix germinated around Prince’s experiments with increasing the speed of his vocals to feminize his voice in “Erotic City”, birthing the beginnings of his female alter ego Camille (later Prince recorded an unreleased concept album by Camille) and explores gender through androgynous vocals. Our gender-bending ride soars through Jimmy Sommerville channeling Donna Summer in “I Feel Love”, Sylvester’s “You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)”, Gina X “singing like a backstreet boy” before the Backstreet Boys existed, and Eurythmics in an early collaboration with our beloved Chris and Cosey.
1. Jobriath – I’m a man
2. Marc Almond & Bronski Beat – I Feel Love
3.Wicked Witch – X Rated
4. Prince – Erotic City
5. Gina X Performance – Be A Boy
6. Linda Lamb – Hot Room
7. Sylvester – You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)
8. Chris And Cosey (with Eurythmics) – Sweet Surprise
9. The Flamingos – I Only Have Eyes For You
10. Divine – Walk Like A Man
11. Jackie Shane – Any Other Way
Main photo of Jed Perez/Jezzabelle at Instagram @partymomsociety.